What is Benchmark Literacy?
Benchmark Literacy is a comprehensive, research-proven program that empowers both experienced and beginning teachers with best-practice tools for vertically aligned K-6 reading, writing, speaking, listening, and language instruction:
- 30 weeks of comprehension-focused instruction
- Pre-, ongoing, and post-assessment
- Gradual-release mini-lessons with built-in choice
- High-quality informational, narrative, and opinion/argument texts
- Complex texts for close reading applying text-dependent strategies
- Differentiated support for English learners and special needs students
- Customized professional development services
- State-of-the-art interactive technology
Benchmark Literacy . . .
- Builds foundational skills—such as phonics, word study, and fluency-to produce proficient readers
- Scaffolds ALL students to access complex informational and literary texts during whole-group lessons during Weeks 1 and 2
- Guides students to use text evidence in close reading
- Provides opportunities for students to develop collaborative conversations
- Develops writers by teaching writing process and writing to sources